Our Favorite Christmas Cookies
I was going to start this blog in 2013, but it’s almost Christmas and I figured that’s a pretty good time to start something new. And, if we’re starting something new, why not celebrate? If you’re celebrating, why not start with cookies?!? And if you’re starting with cookies, you’ve got to start with the biggest favorites of all, Christmas cookies!
Here are some family favorites my three sons and husband requested again this year:
- PEANUT BUTTER REINDEER COOKIES… These are a fun cookie, my middle son always looks forward to them, even at 16 years old. I usually use regular small pretzels, but the Bakergirl uses small chocolate covered pretzels and I thought I’d try that this year. We like the taste of cinnamon flavored Red Hots candy for Rudolph’s nose. For a brighter, shiny nose, use red M&Ms as the Bakergirl recommends.
- SNOWBALL COOKIES 3 WAYS… These are my husband’s favorite, so I’ve been making them for years. Jessica, at A Kitchen Addiction blog, offers a little variety to the traditional recipe, so I decided to mix it up a bit this year.
- PEANUT BUTTER NUTELLA COOKIE CUPS… I usually make Peanut Butter Blossoms with Hershey’s Kisses at my youngest son’s request, but I’m thinking of doing a 50/50 this year and going with some Nutella lusciousness from Barbara Bakes for the other half.
- CANDY DECORATED CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES… My oldest son in now in college and has adored frosted sugar cookies since his very first Christmas. I usually make a traditional recipe, but Jamie makes Almond Butter Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting that sounds delish and decorates them with candy in a most incredibly cute way.
I like to pick a new recipe and something I haven’t made in recent years for my choice every year:
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT SURPRISE COOKIES… Peppermint is a Christmas requirement and there’s nothing minty on the list yet. Don’t these look fabulous? And, in keeping with the Christmas spirit, you’ll find a surprise inside! Santa hat tip to Deborah over at Taste and Tell for this perfect Christmas cookie.
- CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHERRY DELIGHTS… I actually made a similar recipe several years ago and they were big hit. I was really glad they caught my eye again while I was perusing the Taste and Tell blog. I know from experience with my husband that if you make a batch of these for a cordial cherry fan you know they will love you forever!
- CANDY CANE BLOSSOMS… A dear friend is participating in a bake sale at work to benefit a co-worker who is experiencing a serious medical issue. We are getting together next weekend to bake cookies for the sale. When I saw these on Diana’s AzoresGal blog I thought they looked like a winner. Tasty and eye-catching in hopes of a very successful benefit event!
GINGERBREAD COOKIES… I know these are a Christmas staple, but I haven’t made them for quite a few years. I’m really looking forward to trying BreAna’s recipe at Sugar and Spice & All Things Iced. I had to add a large picture because the batch she made with her kids is just so cute!
My plan is to shop for supplies and get all the dough made before next weekend. Then visit my friend to make the bake sale cookies and some for her family to enjoy too. On Christmas Eve day I’ll bake the batches for our family. If I bake them any earlier, they will surely be gone before Christmas with four cookie-loving men in the house… That’s the plan, but it could change!
What are your family’s favorite Christmas cookies and how do you schedule-in your holiday baking? Do you have tips on storing pre-baked cookies?
You can leave a comment at the bottom of this post’s page here…
Thanks for checking out my new blog & MERRY CHRISTMAS BAKING to all.